|1 tbsp.||Olive oil|
|4 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|1||Spaghetti squash (4-5 lbs)|
|1/2 cup||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|1/2 cup||Zucchini, grated|
|1/2 cup||Yogurt, plain, low fat|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
- Heat oil in a small pan and then cook garlic in it for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, do not brown it.
- Squash can be microwaved or steamed (baking too, but that takes longer)
*The squash is properly cooked when a fork can easily pierce the skin.
*Microwaving – pierce squash all over and place in microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high, for about 5 or 6 minutes per pound (so for 5 lb. squash about 25 minutes). Half way through the cooking, turn the squash over.
*Steaming – cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Steam for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Cut the cooked squash in half lengthwise (unless you have already done that to cook it).
- Run the tines of the fork lengthwise over the squash to loosen the strands, scoop out the strands into a baking dish or bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together, the garlic, parsley, zucchini and yogurt. Taste for seasoning using as little salt as possible. Use as much pepper as you enjoy.
- Toss the mixture with the squash and serve.
Recipes From Our Resident Expert, Marsha Rosen, RD
Here are some heart healthy recipes provided by Marsha Rosen, RD (Registered Dietitian). Marsha is Mike Salem’s sister and in addition to offering private nutrition counselling, Marsha provides group lectures, seminars and cooking demonstrations, and is a sought-after contributor to health-related publications.
If you have nutrition question for our dietician, you can email Marsha here…
Do you have a heart healthy recipe that you would like to share? Send your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org