Today’s blog post is brought to you by Fact Retriever. The human body is absolutely fascinating and it keeps us moving, thinking, breathing, and ultimately alive. We wanted to share 12 amazing and fun human body facts here:
- By the time a person reaches 70 years old, he or she will have consumed over 12,000 gallons of water.
- Bone is five times stronger than a steel bar of the same width, but it is brittle and can fracture on impact.
- The body can detect taste in .0015 seconds, which is faster than the blink of an eye.
- Every hour, humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin, or about 1.5 pounds every year.
- By the time a person is 70 years old, they will have lost about 105 pounds of skin.
- The largest cell in the human body is an egg (or ovum) and is barely visible to the naked eye.
- The largest bone in the human body is the femur. It can support 30 times the weight of a person’s body. Ounce for ounce, that’s stronger than steel.
- Messages from the human brain travel along nerves at up to 200 miles an hour (322 km/h)
- In an adult human, 25% of their bones are in the feet.
- The gluteus maximus is the body’s largest muscle.
- A human’s ears and nose never stop growing.
- A human’s little finger contributes over 50% of the hand’s strength.
There you have it- 12 interesting and fun facts about the human body! If you know any other fun facts, share them in the comments below.