5 Heart-Health Glossary Words
- Angina: A recurring pain or discomfort in the chest area. This discomfort is caused by some part of the heart not receiving
enough blood. The pain can feel like heaviness, a burning sensation or discomfort in the left arm or jaw.
- Bundle Branch Block: A condition in which the heart’s electrical system is unable to normally conduct the electrical signal.
- Cardiomyopathy: Disease of the heart muscle, causing decreased functioning of the heart.
- Electrocardiogram: A method for studying the heart by measuring the electrical impulses of the heart as they are detected on the surface of the body. Also known as EKG or ECG.
- Fibrillation: Rapid contractions of the heart muscles, sometimes called quivering of the heart muscle. When your heart is in fibrillation blood cannot be pumped in or out properly. Fibrillation can lead to cardiac arrest, stopping of all heart functions.