At The Mikey Network, we want to ensure that you are living your healthiest life. Understanding the definitions of specific heart-health words is important because you will be able to learn different parts of your body as you hear them throughout your life. We have created a list of 5 heart-health words for you:
- Atrial Tachycardia: A rapid rhythm driven by pacemaker activity in atrial sites other than the SA node (the natural pacemaker).
- Bypass Surgery: A blood vessel, usually taken from the leg or chest and is grafted onto the blocked artery, bypassing the blocked area. The blood can then go around the obstruction to supply the heart with enough blood to relieve pain.
- Commotio Cortis: Is a disruption of heart rhythm that occurs as a result of a blow to the area directly over the heart (percordial region) at a critical time during the cycle of a heartbeat. It is a form of ventricular fibrillation, not mechanical damage to the heart muscle or surrounding organs, and not the result of heart disease. The fatality rate is about 65%. It can sometimes, but not always, be reversed by defibrillation.
- Dyspnea: Shortness of breath; occurs normally during intense physical exertion or at high altitude.
- Echocardiogram: A cardiac test and way to see the heart with the use of ultrasound imaging.
- Premature Ventricular Contraction: An early heartbeat started by the ventricles.
- Sinus Node: The heart’s natural pacemaker, produces electrical impulses to keep the heart beating at a healthy pace by causing the heart to contract and pump blood at regular intervals.
For more heart-health words, click here