|2||Butternut squash (about 1 3/4 pounds – total)|
Sweet onion, chopped
Vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium)
|1/4 c.||Green onions, thinly sliced|
Dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- Pierce each squash with a fork.
- Microwave at high for 20 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- Cut each squash in half lengthwise. Discarding the seeds and membrane.
- Remove the pulp to use for the soup.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil and add the ginger and the sweet onion. Sauté until the onion is soft and golden brown.
- Add the broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using a wand blender, blend the soup (while in the pot). Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed – using ginger, pepper and only if necessary, salt.
- Top each of the 4 servings with a teaspoon each of the green onion, yogurt and peanuts.
Recipes From Our Resident Expert, Marsha Rosen, RD
Here are some heart healthy recipes provided by Marsha Rosen, RD (Registered Dietitian). Marsha is Mike Salem’s sister and in addition to offering private nutrition counselling, Marsha provides group lectures, seminars and cooking demonstrations, and is a sought-after contributor to health-related publications.
If you have nutrition question for our dietician, you can email Marsha here…
Do you have a heart healthy recipe that you would like to share? Send your recipes to email@example.com