Oven 375 Degrees
|1/2 cup||Dried cherries (or raisins if not available)|
|Zest of 1 whole orange or lemom|
|1 cup||Sugar (or Splenda if desired)|
|1/2 tsp.||Ground ginger|
|3||Granny Smith apples, large, peeled chopped (about 4 cups)|
|6-8 oz.||Cranberries, fresh or frozen, cleaned, rinsed, drained|
|1/2 cup||Panko crumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs) – use regular if not available|
|2 tbsp.||Brown sugar|
|1/4 tsp.||Ground ginger|
|2 tbsp.||Butter, melted|
- Preheat oven
- Prepare baking pan – use a 10″ quiche
- Soak the cherries/raisins if needed, in 1/2 cup warm water for 20 minutes, drain. Combine them with the fruit zest in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix together, sugar/Splenda, flour ginger and salt.
- Into the bowl, stir in the apples, cranberries, and dried cherries/ currants and the zest.
- Turn this into the prepared baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the topping ingredients.
- Sprinkle over the top of the fruit
- Bake for 45 minutes until bubbly and many of the cranberries have popped.
Serve warm alone, or topped with 1/2 cup low-fat frozen yogurt.
Recipes From Our Resident Expert, Marsha Rosen, RD
Here are some heart healthy recipes provided by Marsha Rosen, RD (Registered Dietitian). Marsha is Mike Salem’s sister and in addition to offering private nutrition counselling, Marsha provides group lectures, seminars and cooking demonstrations, and is a sought-after contributor to health-related publications.
If you have nutrition question for our dietician, you can email Marsha here…
Do you have a heart healthy recipe that you would like to share? Send your recipes to email@example.com