Heart-Health Recipe: Spinach and Green Pea Soup
Number of servings: 4
|4||Green onions, chopped|
|3 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|1 large||Baking potato, peeled and diced (about 1 ½ cups)|
|1/8 tsp||Ground nutmeg|
|1 ½ cups||Reduced sodium – vegetable or chicken broth|
|1 pkg (227g)||Baby spinach|
|1 cup||Frozen green peas, thawed|
|2 cups||1 % milk|
|2 tbsp.||Lemon juice, freshly squeezed|
|¼ cup||Low-fat sour cream|
|3 tbsp.||Fresh chives, chopped|
- In a medium pot, combine green onions, garlic, potato nutmeg and broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and boil for 5-10 minutes or until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Stir spinach and peas into the soup. Cover and boil for about 5 minutes, or until the spinach is tender.
- Use an immersion blender in the pot, or transfer to a blender in batches. Puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot, add the milk and heat over low heat, stirring for 2-3 minutes until steaming. Do not let it boil.
- Drizzle in lemon juice, stirring constantly. Season with pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, stir together sour cream and chives.
- Ladle the soup into each bowl and garnish with a dollop of the herbed sour cream – swirl slightly.
Recipes From Our Resident Expert, Marsha Rosen, RD
Here are some heart-healthy recipes provided by Marsha Rosen, RD (Registered Dietitian). Marsha is Mike Salem’s sister and in addition to offering private nutrition counselling, Marsha provides group lectures, seminars and cooking demonstrations, and is a sought-after contributor to health-related publications.
If you have a nutrition question for our dietician, you can email Marsha here…
Do you have a heart-healthy recipe that you would like to share? Send your recipes to email@example.com