Heart-Healthy Tart Apple Buttermilk Cake Recipe!
Pre-heat oven to 350
|2/3 cup||Flour plus extra for dusting pan|
|3 tbsp.||Unsalted butter, softened or soft margarine|
|2/3 cup +
|1/3 cup||Polenta (or cornmeal)|
|¾ tsp.||Baking powder|
|¾ tsp.||Vanilla extract|
|4||Tart apples like Granny Smith – peeled, cored and thinly sliced|
- Coat a 9” round cake pan with cooking spray and dust with flour.
- In the electric mixer, beat, butter/margarine and 1/3 cup of the sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the next 1/3 cup of sugar and beat well.
- Add the buttermilk and the egg whites, one at a time. Beat well.
- In another bowl, mix flour, polenta/cornmeal and baking powder.
- Add to the other mixture along with the vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Arrange apple slices on the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tbsp. sugar.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until tests done.
Recipes From Our Resident Expert, Marsha Rosen, RD
Here are some heart healthy recipes provided by Marsha Rosen, RD (Registered Dietitian). Marsha is Mike Salem’s sister and in addition to offering private nutrition counselling, Marsha provides group lectures, seminars and cooking demonstrations, and is a sought-after contributor to health-related publications.
Do you have a heart healthy recipe that you would like to share? Send your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org