|1/4 cup||sugar, granulated|
|1 cup||all-purpose flour|
|1/2 tsp.||salt, granulated|
|1 1/2||cups 1% milk|
|3 – 4||Gala apples, large|
|2 tbsp.||lemon juice, fresh|
|6 tbsp.||butter, unsalted, cut into 12 pieces|
- In a small bowl, mix sugar (1/4 cup) and cinnamon together – set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and the 2 tsp. of sugar.
- Add milk slowly, whisking. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Peel and core the apples. Cut into 1/8″ thick slices and then 1/8″ matchsticks – toss in a bowl with lemon juice.
- Fold the apples and lemon juice into the batter.
- In a 6″ non-stick skillet, melt 1 piece of butter over moderate heat. Add 1/3 cup of the batter and spread it to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Cook, reducing the heat if it is browning too quickly. Turn the pancake over once until golden on both sides. This should take about minutes – total.
- Slide onto a platter and keep warm in the oven.
- Complete the batter in the same way, giving a total of about 12 pancakes.
- Sprinkle the tops of each pancake with some of the cinnamon and sugar just before serving.
Recipes From Our Resident Expert, Marsha Rosen, RD
Here are some heart healthy recipes provided by Marsha Rosen, RD (Registered Dietitian). Marsha is Mike Salem’s sister and in addition to offering private nutrition counselling, Marsha provides group lectures, seminars and cooking demonstrations, and is a sought-after contributor to health-related publications.
If you have nutrition question for our dietician, you can email Marsha here…
Do you have a heart healthy recipe that you would like to share? Send your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org