Servings: 32 pieces
Preheat oven to 350º F.
|1 1/2 cups||white sugar|
|2/3 cup||canola oil|
|2 tsps.||vanilla extract|
|2 2/3 cups||all-purpose flour|
|2 tsps.||baking powder|
|2 tsps.||baking soda|
|2 cups||boiling water|
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla for 4 minutes.
- In another bowl, sift together, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture alternately with boiling water to the sugar mixture.
- Beat well after each addition.
- Pour into an oiled and floured 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake springs back to the touch.
- Yield: 32 pieces (118 calories and 4.5 g fat each)
NOTE: cut pieces smaller for fewer calories and less fat per piece
Recipes From Our Resident Expert, Marsha Rosen, RD
Here are some heart-healthy recipes provided by Marsha Rosen, RD (Registered Dietitian). Marsha is Mike Salem’s sister and in addition to offering private nutrition counseling, Marsha provides group lectures, seminars, and cooking demonstrations, and is a sought-after contributor to health-related publications.
If you have a nutrition question for our dietician, you can email Marsha here…
Do you have a heart-healthy recipe that you would like to share? Send your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org