Serves 8 (1 cup each)
|2 cups / 500 mL||Cooked, frozen white navy beans. If using canned, rinse well.|
|1 cup / 125 mL||Whole-wheat pasta (either shells or elbows), uncooked|
|2 tbsp. / 25 mL||Olive oil|
|1 medium||Onion, chopped|
|2 cloves||Garlic, chopped|
|2 ribs (stalks)||Celery, chopped|
|4 ripe||Tomatoes, cubed|
|1 medium||Zucchini, cubed|
|1 lb. / 250 g||Fresh green beans, sliced into 1" / 2.5 cm pieces|
|1 tsp. / 5 mL||Fresh pepper or to taste|
|8 cups / 2 L||Water|
|1 tbsp. / 15 mL||Dried basil|
|1 clove||Garlic, whole|
|2 tbsp. / 25 mL||Parmesan cheese|
- Thaw navy beans or cook as needed. Set aside.
- Cook pasta – do not add salt, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet, add onion, chopped garlic, carrots and celery. Saute until onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, pepper and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the navy beans and pasta. If soup is too thick, add a little extra water.
- In a blender or food processor – place basil, whole garlic clove and 1 cup of the soup from the pot. Blend until smooth and then return this all back into the pot of soup.
- Mix well, heat to hot and serve with a small sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top of each bowl.
Do you have a heart healthy recipie that you would like to share? Send your recipies to email@example.com