Oven 375 Degrees
|1/2 cup||Dried cherries (or raisins if not available)|
|Zest of 1 whole orange or lemon|
|1 cup||Sugar (or Splenda if desired)|
|1/2 tsp.||Ground ginger|
|3||Granny Smith apples, large, peeled chopped (about 4 cups)|
|6-8 oz.||Cranberries, fresh or frozen, cleaned, rinsed, drained|
|1/2 cup||Panko crumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs) – use regular if not available|
|2 tbsp.||Brown sugar|
|1/4 tsp.||Ground ginger|
|2 tbsp.||Butter, melted|
- Preheat oven
- Prepare baking pan – use a 10″ quiche
- Soak the cherries/raisins if needed, in 1/2 cup warm water for 20 minutes, drain. Combine them with the fruit zest in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix together, sugar/Splenda, flour ginger and salt.
- Into the bowl, stir in the apples, cranberries, and dried cherries/ currants and the zest.
- Turn this into the prepared baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the topping ingredients.
- Sprinkle over the top of the fruit
- Bake for 45 minutes until bubbly and many of the cranberries have popped.
Serve warm alone, or topped with 1/2 cup low-fat frozen yogurt.
Recipes From Our Resident Expert, Marsha Rosen, RD
Here are some heart-healthy recipes provided by Marsha Rosen, RD (Registered Dietitian).
If you have nutrition questions for our dietician, you can email Marsha here…
Do you have a heart-healthy recipe that you would like to share? Send your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org