Number of servings: 4
|2 tsp.||Vegetable oil|
|1||Sweet onion, finely chopped|
|1 clove||Garlic, minced|
|1 tsp.||Dried dill weed|
|1||Potato, peeled, cut into ½ inch cubes|
|1 ½ cups||Corn kernels, fresh or frozen (thawed)|
|¼ cup||All-purpose flour|
|2 cups||1% Milk|
|1 lb||Raw medium size shrimp, shell off|
|1 tsp.||Lemon zest, grated|
|3 tbsp.||Lemon juice, fresh squeezed|
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Sautḗ onion, garlic and dill weed for about 5 minutes or until the onions are softened.
- Stir in potatoes, corn and water; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Increase heat to medium.
- Whisk flour into the milk and gradually stir this into the pot. Stir gently.
- Stir in shrimp. Simmer, uncovered and stirring gently but often for about 5 minutes – until the shrimp are firm and pink and the soup has thickened. – do not let this boil.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice.
- Season with pepper, to taste.
Recipes From Our Resident Expert, Marsha Rosen, RD
Here are some heart-healthy recipes provided by Marsha Rosen, RD (Registered Dietitian). Marsha is Mike Salem’s sister and in addition to offering private nutrition counselling, Marsha provides group lectures, seminars and cooking demonstrations, and is a sought-after contributor to health-related publications.
If you have a nutrition question for our dietician, you can email Marsha here…
Do you have a heart-healthy recipe that you would like to share? Send your recipes to email@example.com